Reporting to the senior director of marketing and PR within the Department of Foundation and Alumni Communications, the associate director of email marketing is responsible for the design, testing, execution, tracking, evaluation, reporting, and maintenance of automated online marketing campaigns, including email marketing, tailored to alumni and donor needs, values, motivations, and triggers. By nurturing alumni and donors through highly specialized and personalized content and marketing campaigns, the associate director of email marketing helps the organization effectively engage its audience, convert the audience to action, and create more prolific and loyal brand ambassadors.
40% Manage the daily operations of the marketing automation and email platform
- set and execute strategy
- document, promote, and train partners on policies and best practices
- stay up-to-date with the latest trends and changes with marketing automation platforms
- liaise with Marketo staff to trouble shoot issues, understand system functionality and roadmaps, and define and implement new functionality and product offerings that enhance the organization’s usage of the platform over time
- manage system support for internal staff and university partners
- provide day-to-day system maintenance and configuration (e.g., campaigns, smartlists, look ups, kick-backs, forwarding, help desk tickets and resolution)
- build workspaces, including template programs and assets, and smart lists
- test and analyze workflows
- manage audits of user practices to ensure compliance and identify opportunities for improvement and innovation
40% Build and optimize a top-notch marketing automation program
Design and run the full life cycle of marketing campaigns that are powered by the marketing automation platform - from initial planning, to development, content, rollout, and measuring results
- Work with department colleagues, IT, staff partners, and volunteer engagement to translate marketing requirements into functional campaigns within marketing automation
- Collaborate with the marketing team on integration of social media and web content across platforms to work toward a seamless, personalized experience for the user
- Manage various email marketing and automated campaigns, including the template designs, line-ups, calls-to-action, and content used in email sends.
- Segment lists based on reported data and behaviors (e.g., past email engagement and website interactions, content downloads, site page visits, etc.).
- Measure results and optimize the lead nurturing workflows for these segments to convert “leads” into “customers”.
- Work to minimize list decay and unsubscribes while increasing the productivity of email sends.
- Develop documentation and road maps for processes, A/B tests, and promotions that succeed through email.
- Establish, measure, track, evaluate, and report on analytics and continually refine process to better convert and steward audience.
- Identify and execute opportunities to improve email marketing and automated campaigns
10% Work collaboratively with department staff and partners to develop content that will activate and nurture audiences to drive continued and increased engagement and philanthropy
- Collaborate with department staff and partners to create high-quality content and collateral that will fuel automated marketing programs
- Ensure content addresses audience needs and values at varying stages of brand contact and decision-making
5% Occasionally serve as backup for event listings, forms, registrations, and surveys.
5% Hire, train, oversee, and evaluate interns and freelance vendors.
- Hire, supervise, motivate, coach, evaluate, and discipline interns
- Ensure interns have opportunities for professional development and training
- Negotiate with vendors, when needed, to ensure high quality, while keeping projects within budget and on time
- Minimum of three to five years of relevant experience in email marketing, marketing automation, CRM or similar platform/software powered marketing programs
- Proficiency in marketing automation systems and campaign development to include experience with any of the following (or similar): Marketo, Eloqua, Pardot, Silverpop, HubSpot,
- Proficiency in digital content management and promotion that demonstrates an understanding of how to both build and convert a digital audience
- Past experience growing audience base by providing them with regular, helpful content that’s aligned with their needs, values, and interests.
- Dual-minded approach that demonstrates a high level of creativity and attention to detail
- Highly creative with excellent written and verbal communication skills capable of tackling a heavy amount of writing and presenting/pitching
- Strong analytical skills and experience with reporting and data analysis that demonstrate ability to be process-driven, think scale, and rely on data to make decisions.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Understand how to apply technology to support a business process and campaign workflows.
- Computer literacy to include industry standard software and platforms.
- Prefer working in a collaborative, cross-functional, inter-departmental, and cross-team capacity to bring a brand to life.
- Proven experience interfacing with high-level marketing/sales executives
- Solid understanding of the web and web technology (HTML, basic CSS) and the ability and desire to grow your technical skillset
- Experience establishing and maintaining system documentation, training materials, user trainings
- BA/BS degree in marketing, business, IT, communication, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience that demonstrates skill, comprehensive knowledge, and understanding of marketing, messaging, writing/copyediting, public speaking, organizational development, stakeholder coordination, and project management
Preferred but not required:
- experience managing and leading marketing automation platform integration projects (e.g., CMS, event registration, social advertising, email marketing)
- Marketo certification
- understanding of relational data structure and basic SQL knowledge
- graduate degree
- proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (particularly Photoshop and InDesign)
- experience in alumni relations, in development, or in an institution of higher education
- familiarity with the university, alumni association, Foundation, and/or Rutgers University Style Guide